Bouldering in Joshua Tree

Bouldering in Joshua Tree
Ronnie 15 feet off deck on the classic White Rastafarian.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Hit the water running

Hey guys!  Wakeboarding has been awesome lately and the water is starting to warm back up!  Getting back on the water was the natural thing for me to do after my accident.  I remember the doctors saying, no you have wait another week, these stitches aren't healed up.  It was probably three months after the accident when they finally gave me the okay and I met up with Paul Mcdonald at the Ron Scarpa Ski School to do some one foots.   Here's a short clip of my first day back.  Standing up on one foot can be challenging but it felt natural because I got so used to standing on my right foot.




I waited about two more months before I got back on my wakeboard.  I had to get used to putting weight on my stump and also build up my poor atrophied leg.  The last thing I wanted to do was to land hard my first time back and blow out my knee because it was so weak.  As soon as I got back up I knew nothing had changed.  I said I'm just going to take it easy and do a few wake jumps but I felt good so I threw a tantrum (backflip) and on the second try I landed it.  Since then all of my tricks have come back and it I've never blamed a fall on the foot.  All my falls I feel have been from a lack of ride time.  Here are a few pictures from a while back with a bunch of guys I used to ride with-- Chase Sellmyer, Frank Favuzza and Josh Jacobs- 













I'm really looking forward to few competitions I have coming up this summer.  Extremity Games is being held in Texas in June so I'm about to start preparing myself for some stiff competition.  The Extremity Games is also the qualifier for Worlds, which is a huge competition in Indianapolis at the end of the summer.  So things could get really exciting!  I don't have that much video of me wakeaboarding yet but here is a short clip of me doing a cript.  




Also wakesurfing has been easy to get back into.  Brian Green and I used to shred on it all the time because it's slow and a low impact sport, we can't hurt ourselves too badly.  With wakesurfing you start with a short line and drop the rope when you are set in the wave.  We basically weight down the left side of my boat and run at about 9-11 mph.  If it's big enough you can get two people on the wave!  Check it out-





No comments:

Post a Comment